19 – Jesus’ Last Command
Jesus appears to his
Did you Know?
- Jesus had twelve special disciples. One of them betrayed him. His name was Judas. Then he killed himself. So, now there are only eleven disciples.
- Some of Jesus' disciples still doubted. They could not understand that Jesus was alive again.
The Meaning of the Story
Jesus had been with his friends for three years. Now the time has come for him to leave them. He must go back to his Father in heaven. He met with them and gave them one last command.
Jesus wants people everywhere to become his friends and followers. This is the work he gave his disciples to do. They must teach everyone, everywhere, about God’s kingdom. They are to baptize these new disciples. This baptism is a sign that people now belong to Jesus.
Telling others about Jesus is a big job. Jesus promised his friends that wherever they are, he will be with them. He promised to help them with this work.
We have written this little book because we want to obey Jesus’ command. We want you to meet Jesus and become one of his many followers. If you become a friend of Jesus, he will be with you wherever you go.
Who is Jesus?
A king or president has power over a country. An emperor has power over an empire, which has many countries. Only one man has all authority. Only one man has authority over all the countries of the world. Only one man has authority over all the world and all of heaven. This man is God’s Son, the Lord Jesus. Jesus has all authority.
Thinking about the Story
- What does it mean for someone to have authority?
- What does it mean for someone to have all authority?
- Why did God give all authority to Jesus?
- What is a disciple?
- How do we make disciples?