18 – Jesus Rises from the Dead
Jesus becomes alive again
Did you Know?
- Jesus died on Friday, was in the tomb on Saturday, and rose on Sunday – the third day.
- The first people to meet Jesus after he rose from the dead were women.
- The Jewish leaders had put guards by Jesus’ tomb because they thought his friends might steal his body.
- Many times, Jesus had told his friends he would rise from the dead.
The Meaning of the Story
Early Sunday morning, some women went to the tomb where they had put the dead body of Jesus. They went to show their respects.
We saw at Jesus’ birth that God sent an angel to some shepherds. The shepherds were very afraid. The angel brought good news that the saviour and king had been born. Now, after Jesus’ death, God again sent an angel. Like the shepherds, the women were afraid. Again, God sent his angel to bring good news. The angel said that God had raised Jesus to life again. Jesus had promised he would rise again, and he kept his promise.
When the women met Jesus, they ‘held on to his feet’. Jesus had a body. They did not see a ghost. They were not dreaming. Jesus was real. One day, Jesus will raise all his friends from the dead. Like Jesus, we will have bodies. Like Jesus, we will never die again.
Who is Jesus?
Jesus met the women and told them to take this good news to all his friends. Ever since then, friends of Jesus have been telling people that Jesus rose from the dead. Since Jesus rose from the dead, we can be sure that, when we die, he will raise us from the dead.
Only one man can give us life forever. That is Jesus. We should meet him and trust him.
Thinking about the Story
- What was the good news the angel brought to the women?
- How did the women feel before they heard the good news?
- How did the women feel after they heard the good news?
- Why were the women both afraid and happy?
- How can we sure that we will rise from the dead?