2 – The Visit of the Wise Men
Some men come to visit Jesus
your town is a very important town in Judea.
A person born in your town will become a leader of my people Israel.
He will lead my people like a
Did you Know?
- Herod was a king in Israel. He later tried to kill Jesus.
- ‘Wise men’ gave advice to kings.
- ‘Messiah’ is another word for ‘Christ’, God’s promised king.
- A prophet brings a word from God to the people.
- Jesus was about two years old when the wise men came to Bethlehem.
The Meaning of the Story
After Jesus birth, the family stayed in Bethlehem. While they were there, they received some surprising visitors. From far away, ‘wise men’ came to Bethlehem.
Two things led these wise men to Jesus. First, they saw a special star in the sky. They believed that a special star in the sky showed that an important king had been born.
The second thing that led them to this king was the Bible. Many years before, God had spoken through a prophet. The prophet said that one day a great leader would be born in Bethlehem. Now this leader had come. The wise men believed what God had said by his prophet.
They came to a house in Bethlehem. There they found Joseph and Mary and the young child, Jesus. They knew that Jesus was this king.
Then they fell on the ground and worshipped him because they knew he was someone much greater than they were.
Who is Jesus?
When the wise men came to Bethlehem, Jesus did not look like a king. But they knew God had sent Jesus to rule, because he had put a star in the sky to tell people about his birth. God had spoken through a prophet to announce he would be born in Bethlehem. The wise men worshipped him, because they knew he was a king greater than any other king.
Thinking about the Story
- What led the wise men to Jerusalem?
- Why were the wise men so happy?
- Why did the wise men worship Jesus?
- Why did the wise men not return to Jerusalem?