12 – Stilling the Storm
Jesus stops a storm
Did you Know?
- This story happened on the Sea of Galilee.
- Some of Jesus’ friends were fishermen.
- They were sailing in a small wooden fishing boat.
- Jesus had been working all day teaching and healing, and he was very tired.
The Meaning of the Story
Jesus was in a boat with his twelve friends and a huge storm came up. The disciples had never seen a storm like this one. They were sure they were going to die. They knew they were weak and helpless. They woke up Jesus because they were afraid.
Jesus was not happy with the disciples. Why did they not trust him? They had already seen him perform many miracles. They had seen the power of his word. Didn’t they know that if Jesus was with them, they had nothing to fear?
Jesus stood and told the storm to be still. His word was obeyed immediately. The storm stopped and everything was calm.
The disciples had never seen power and authority like this. There is nobody like Jesus.
Jesus has power over everything that God has made.
Who is Jesus?
God made the storms and the seas. God rules the storms and the seas. Here we see Jesus doing God’s work. Jesus is God’s Son, and he controls the storms and the seas. All creation obeys his powerful word.
Jesus is the Lord of everything.
Thinking about the Story
- Have you ever been scared by a storm?
- Why do you think Jesus could sleep through the storm?
- Why was Jesus not happy with the disciples?
- Why did the storm obey the word of Jesus?