11 – The Soldier’s Servant
A Roman officer believes that Jesus can help him
Did you know?
- The army officer was a Gentile and the most powerful man in the area.
- This army officer worshipped God.
- Jewish ‘meeting places’ were called synagogues.
- This is the only time Jesus is surprised at someone’s faith.
The meaning of the story
In this story, we see another example of the power of the word of Jesus. It is a story about an army officer. He was rich and powerful. But he knew that all his power could not save his dying servant. But he had heard about Jesus and knew that Jesus had the power to heal his servant.
The officer knew that Jesus’ word is so powerful that he only has to speak and it happens. He knew that Jesus’ word is much more powerful than his own word. From far away, Jesus commanded the servant to become well again. Immediately the man was healed. Nobody’s word has power like the word of Jesus.
The officer knew how helpless and weak he was. He knew he did not deserve Jesus’ kindness. More important than this, he knew how strong and loving Jesus is. Jesus wants everyone to have faith like this man.
Who is Jesus?
When God made the world, he spoke and everything was made. Jesus showed the same power. In the last story, Jesus spoke to an evil spirit and the spirit immediately obeyed Jesus’ word. In this story, Jesus spoke to the sickness in the body of the servant and the sickness immediately left him.
Jesus has the power to make sick people healthy again.
Thinking about the story
- What did this officer know about Jesus?
- Why did the officer send some Jewish leaders to Jesus?
- Why did the officer send another group to Jesus?
- What is faith?
- What does this officer teach us about faith?