About this book
Joel may have lived in the country called Judah. He was a
The ‘Day of the
Locusts eat all the plants in Israel
Nothing like this has happened while you have been alive.
Nothing like this happened while your fathers were alive.
And they must tell it to their children.
And their children must tell it to their own children.
Cry, all people who drink
Cry because you will have no new
Someone has taken it away from you.
It is powerful, and great in numbers.
It has the teeth of a strong animal.
And the teeth are long and dangerous.
and destroyed my
It has eaten the hard skins and it threw them away.
It has left their branches white.
She is crying because her promised husband is dead.
They will not reach the house of the
are very, very sad.
They are all dry.
The oil has all gone.
You who grow
Be sad for the seeds that are food.
Be sad because the fields are dry. And the plants have died.
The apple trees and other fruit trees -
all the trees have no more fruit.
Men have no more
It has all gone.
Joel tells people that they must
That will show that you are sad.
You cry, you who
Come, you who
Sleep in the clothes that are not comfortable.
Cry for the gifts of food and drink.
Cry because they do not come to the house of your God any longer.
Tell the people that they must all come to hear the
Speak to the older leaders,
and all the people who live in this country.
Tell them that they must all come.
They must come to the house of the
and they must shout out to the
Be afraid because the day of the
It will be as if the great God would destroy everything.
We saw this with our own eyes.
The house of our God cannot make us happy.
The places where they were stored have fallen down.
Someone has broken them up
because the seed does not grow.
They all move about
because they cannot find any grass.
Even groups of sheep are hungry.
Fire has destroyed the grass,
and it has burned up all the trees.
The rivers have no water in them.
Fire has destroyed the grass in the fields.
The army of
Tell the people on the
All the people who live in this country will be afraid.
They will be afraid because the day of the
It is very near.
It will be cloudy and black.
A great big army is coming.
It comes across the sky like light in the morning.
A great army like this has never come before.
And it will never come again in future years.
It burns everything behind them.
The land in front of them is like the Garden of Eden.
Behind them it is like a
They leave nothing behind them.
Verse 3 This army is an army of
And they run fast to the war.
They jump over the mountains
as fast as fire burns dry grass.
They are like a great army ready for a fight.
Every face changes colour.
They climb walls like soldiers.
They march on in a straight line.
They do not turn away.
Each one of them goes straight on.
You can put
but they go straight on.
They run along the wall.
They climb into houses.
They go through the windows like
The sky itself moves.
The sun and moon are dark
and the stars do not give any light.
as he leads his army.
We cannot count his soldiers.
Those who obey him are very strong.
The day of the
It makes us afraid.
Not many of us will be alive after it has gone.
Joel is telling Israel that the
Lord that you are sorry
‘return to me and put me first.
Eat no food. Cry and be very sad.
Show me instead that you are really sorry.’
Return to the
He is kind and full of
He is slow to get angry, and he is full of love.
He is sad that he had to cause troubles for you.
He may send you
Then you can offer gifts to the
Tell the people that they must not eat any food.
Tell the people that they must all come to
Make them all ready to
Bring the old people together.
Bring the children - even the smallest ones.
Every new husband must leave his room.
Every wife must leave her secret room.
They must cry as they go from the
They must say to the
Do not let the people in other countries laugh at your own people.
They will point at them. And they will say that they have no value.
They will say that we have no God.’
He will be kind to his people.
‘I am giving you new
You will have enough to fill you up.
I will never again let people in other countries laugh about you.
I will push it into empty land where nothing grows.
I will make the front of it go into the sea on the east.
And I will make the back of it go into the sea on the west.
I will make its smell rise up high
because it has done great things.’
Be very happy.
Be sure that the
The fields are becoming green.
Fruit is growing on the trees.
He has given you just enough autumn rain.
He has given you the winter rain,
and the summer rain, as before.
And he will fill your jars with new
I will give you all that the great
All that my great army has eaten I will give you.
He has done great things for you.
My people will never again be ashamed.
You will know that I am your God.
And you will know that there is no other God.
My people will never again be ashamed.’
Zion was the place where the
Verse 25 The
The day of the
Your sons and daughters will be
Your old men will dream and
your young men will see pictures in their minds. (The
on men and on women in those days.
Verse 29 God gives the Spirit of the
I will send blood and fire and clouds of smoke.
Then the great and frightening day of the
will be safe.
They will be safe if they believe in his name.
He has promised this to those people whom he has asked to come to him.
Lord judges the nations
One day, at that time, I will make them great again.
I will bring them down to the valley of Jehoshaphat (a place of
There I will
because of what they did to my children, my people Israel.
They broke up my land and each took pieces.
They gave boys to buy women to have sex with them.
They sold girls so that they could get
Get ready for war!
Shout to the soldiers.
Make all the men who fight get ready to attack.
Make the tools that you use on the farm into pointed fighting sticks.
The weak man must say, ‘I am strong!’
And get together in the valley.
Bring them into the Valley of Jehoshaphat (place of
I will sit there to
They are ready for you to bring them in.
Walk all over the
They come over the top.
The people in all countries have done so many bad things.
It is there that the day of the
and the stars will not shine.
bless his people
He will make a great noise from Jerusalem.
The earth and the sky will move about.
You will know that I live in
Jerusalem will be
Strangers will never take it again.
And milk will run from the hills.
All the valleys of Judah will have rivers of water.
Water will come from the house of the
and it will water the Valley of Acacias (special trees).
I will destroy Edom (a country near Israel)
because their people hurt the people in Judah.
The people in Judah had not done anything wrong,
but the people from Edom made them give up their blood.
- place where they burnt animals or other gifts to God.
- to say or to do many good things to a person.
- the good things that happen when someone
- wild place where no people live. It may be very dry.
- sweet fruit that grows on a tree.
- to show love and not to remember bad things about a person.
- good gifts that God gives to people who believe him. Those people believe that God has
forgiventhem. They are free gifts. We do not get them because we have been good!
- a fruit that men make a drink from.
- people who live in Greece or their language.
- very, very good; only God is really holy; the country where he lives with his people is also holy; it is holy because he is there.
- the language that the
- Holy Spirit
- one person of the 3 persons who are God. He can give people the power to do what God wants. God gives his Spirit to every person who believes in him. Only God can give his Spirit, because only God is really
- sons of Jacob; people who lived in Israel.
- how some languages say the
Hebrewword Yahweh; the name that the Israelitesgave to their God.
- when people are happy because of what God has done for them.
- person with authority to say what is good or bad.
- to say what is good or bad.
- when God says what is good or bad; when someone says if another person is good or bad; when people are told by God or Christ if they are good or bad.
- insect that moves in big groups. It is very hungry, and it eats all green plants.
- a name that we call God or Jesus we call God or Jesus Lord when we obey them.
- a short word for mountain.
- people who live in the same country and have the same rules. They often belong to the same family.
- when we say good things about a person.
- someone from the family of Aaron, son of Levi. God chose the priests to burn gifts to God for the
- person who speaks for God. He can sometimes say what will happen in the future.
- to hurt a person because he or she has done wrong things.
- to be very happy and to
- to start to do better things because we are sorry.
- to be a servant to someone.
- shining white metal with great value.
- building where people
praiseand worshiptheir god.
- people who secretly take things that do not belong to them.
- when people want a drink, they are thirsty.
- people blow through this bent metal pipe to make a loud noise.
- plant that climbs. People make
winefrom its fruits.
- something to fight people with.
- drink from the fruits of a
vine. It contains alcohol.
- very big basket. Men begin to make
winefrom grapesin it.
- to love and to say how very good someone is; to work for them; to believe that they are more important than anything or anyone else.
- Zion was the place where the
Israelitesbuilt the templeof the Lord. Sometimes the people who lived in Jerusalem called themselves ‘Zion’.
G. Campbell Morgan ~ ‘The Voice of Joel’ in Voices of 12 Hebrew Prophets ~ Pickering and Inglis
L. H. Brockington ~ Joel ~ Peake’s Commentary on the Bible
NSV Study Bible
© Wycliffe Associates (UK), 1997-2007
This version published January 2007
The translated Bible text has been through Advanced Checking.