Jesus knew this psalm. He repeated words from it when his enemy (Satan) tried to tempt him. ‘Tempt’ means ‘try to make someone do what they should not do.’ The story is in Matthew 4:11.
My Safe Place!
– A priest (one of God's servants in his house) speaks in verses 1, 3-8 and 9b – 13.
– Someone praying to God speaks in verses 2 and 9a.
– GOD speaks in verses 14-16.
will remain under the shadow of the
– Most High means that God is more important than anyone else.
– Almighty means that God is more powerful than anyone else.
– Lord means that he will never die.
– God means that he decides what will happen.
‘You are my safe place and my strong
You are my God and I am
And God will save you from illnesses that cause death.
God will not let illness destroy his servant (verse 3b).
You will be safe under his
God will do what he promised.
And he will be like big and small
There are two shields in verse 4 also, big and small. Shields are what soldiers protect themselves with. God protects – or makes safe – his people. But the shield is only a picture. It is a picture of God's loyalty. Loyalty means that you do not stop being a friend to someone. You do not stop giving them help whatever happens. Wings and feathers are pictures of big and small shields. Here is an example of Hebrew poetry. The Jews wrote the psalms in Hebrew. Poetry is a special and beautiful way to use words. The Jews said the same thing with two different sets of words!
· bad spirits at night,
· or the
· or illnesses that come when it is dark,
· or something bad that may destroy you at midday.
Ten thousand people may die by your right hand.
But the danger will not come near to you.
while it destroys bad people.
Because the Most High is your home,
bad things will not happen to you.
And there will be no fighting near where you live.
– They are a plague. A plague is an illness that people catch from each other. If one person becomes ill, many other people that live near also become ill.
– They are bad (or evil) spirits. An evil spirit is a servant of God's enemy Satan. We cannot see them, but we can see what they do. They make people ill in their minds and their bodies.
These verses tell us not to be afraid! If we trust in God (ask God for help and believe that he will give it) then he will protect us from illness and evil spirits. It is important to know that the psalm does not mean the illnesses that we often get, like colds. It means plagues. Even if we become ill through a plague, God will protect us after we die. We will live with him in heaven, his home. And God will always protect us from evil spirits. In verse 7, ‘by your side’ may mean ‘by your left side.’ In verse 9, it says ‘the Most High is your home.’ This is picture language while we live on earth. It means we can go to God any time and anywhere. We can pray to him and he will hear and answer us. As it says in verse 15. When we die and get to heaven then God's home will be our home. But we must love and obey God for this to happen.
They will make you safe everywhere that you go.
so that you will not even hurt your feet on a stone.
The young lion and the
Danger will not hurt him that knows and trusts in my name.
When he has trouble, I will be with him.
I will save him and make him famous.
He will enjoy what I will do for him.