– Before Jesus came to the earth, it meant this. The king in verses 2-9 was the king of Judah or Israel. He was the messiah. The words ‘did this by pouring oil over’ in verse 7 are ‘messiahed’ in Hebrew! They poured oil (from the fruit of a tree we call the olive) over him when he became king. All the kings of Judah and Israel were God's messiahs.
The queen in verses 10-15 was the woman that the king married. Some Bible students think that the sons of Korah sang Psalm 45 when King Solomon married his queen. Others think that they sang it every time a king married. The ‘sons of Korah’ were the people that sang in the Temple. The Temple was the house of God. King Solomon built the Temple in Jerusalem. Jerusalem was the capital city of Judah.
– After Jesus came to the earth it meant something else. This is a more important meaning for Christians. They think that verses 2-9 describe Jesus, the King of kings. Verses 10-15 describe the Church, all Christians.
A few Christians think that the psalm only means one thing. They think that:
– The king in verses 2-9 is always God
– The queen in verses 10-15 is always God's people.
God's people were the Jews in the Old Testament, and are Christians in the New Testament and after. They think this because all through the Bible marriage is a picture of God as husband and his people as his wife.
This shows us that Psalm 45 is not a simple psalm. We must never think that we understand it completely. God will always have something new to say to us through it!
A Love Song
This is for the music leader.
It is a special song that the
It is a love song.
Sing it to music that they call ‘
I will say these verses to the king.
You speak words of
God has made you special
You are the
You are great and you are the king!
ride out and beat all your enemies.
Then people that are honest
Your right hand will show you
that you can do things that make people afraid.
and you have
So God, your God, has put you above the people that are with you.
He did this by putting some
and the music that you hear from them makes you happy.
She is wearing gold from
– He speaks words of grace, verse 2. This means that he tells us that he loves us and that he died for us. He did not have to do these things, but he did them. That is what grace means.
– He is the Mighty One, verse 3. This is another name for God. It tells us that he is more powerful than anybody else. It also tells us that Jesus is God (look also at verses 6 and 7).
– He does things that make people afraid, verse 4. This is because he is God and is more powerful than any man or woman.
– He will rule many nations, verse 5. In the end, he will rule all the nations in the world. He will be King of kings!
– His throne will go on for ever and ever, verse 6. This means that he will never stop being king.
– He is God's Messiah, verse 7. He was God's special servant on earth.
– He is beautiful and there are beautiful things round him, verse 8. Myrrh, aloes and cassia come from trees and plants. They used them as medicine, and to make things smell pleasant. They used ivory to make beautiful things to put in their houses. The end of the verse ‘and the music that you hear’ is not in the Hebrew Bible.
– His queen stands at his right hand, verse 9. Some people say that this was the marriage of the king to the queen, others do not agree. Ophir was a place probably on the east coast of the Red Sea, in what is now Saudi Arabia.
Hear what I am saying and think about it.
Forget your people and your father's house.
He is your
They made what she wore out of cotton made from gold.
The girls that were her friends followed her.
as they went into the king's
– The Church is to forget the things that happened in the past, verse 10. Everything is now new.
– The King (Jesus) loves the Church, verse 11. He does this because the Church in Christ is beautiful! Remember, it is not how we see the Church but how God sees it that matters!
– The Church must worship Christ, verse 11. ‘Worship’ is a difficult word. It means love, be afraid of, be a servant of, and fall down on the ground in front of – all at the same time!
In verse 13 we read ‘the daughter of the king is beautiful inside.’ This probably means that nobody saw what she wore until the king saw it. When Jewish girls came to their marriage, they covered their clothes. When they met their husband, they showed everyone their dress. What will the Church wear when she marries Christ? If we believe in Jesus, we will all have a ‘robe of righteousness!’ A robe is a long dress that covers all the body and feet. Jesus gave us righteousness when we first believed in him. It means that He does not see us as bad but as good. This is not because we are good, but because Jesus gives us the gift of goodness (righteousness) when we believe that he died for us.
You will make them
So, people will